The Bobolice castle is located on a picturesque, rocky
hill. It is one of the most famous fortresses lying along
the Trail of the Eagles' Nests, in the center of the
Kraków-Częstochowa Upland. The castle is situated less
than a half hour walk from the twin fortress in Mirów.
There are also trails for longer hikes towards the area of
the Rzędkowice and Kroczycze Rocks and other
attractive places in the Upland. The castle is an example
of the building which after centuries of being a ruin was
rebuilt in modern times.
Undoubtedly, it is one of the most beautiful monuments on the Trail of Eagles' Nests. A monumental castle building lies on a hill. For some its shape resembles a boat. In spite of many years of being in ruins it is still fairly impressive. The Mirowska fortress is one of the oldest fortifications of the Kraków-Częstochowa Upland. We know that a stone watchtower was erected in the mid-fourteenth century, during the reign of Casimir the Great.
In the Kraków-Częstochowa Upland, there are numerous graves of soldiers from WW1 of the three clashing armies: the German, Austro-Hungarian and Russian. The first well-maintained war cemeteries were established already in the years 1917-1918. The largest necropolis can be found in a small village near Żarki - Kotowice. 1500 soldiers from all the fighting army, mostly Russians, Austrians and Germans are buried here.
The ruins of the knight castle "Bąkowiec" from the
fourteenth and fifteenth centuries are located within the
area of the holiday resort "Morsko", near the village of the
same name. Next to the castle there are the two most
important hiking trails of the Polish Jura – the red Trail of
the Eagles' Nests and the blue Trail of the Jurassic
Strongholds. A trip to the ruins of the castle can be
combined with a visit to the nearby Rzędkowice and the
In 1914, at the beginning of the bloody First World War, the area of the Polish Jura became the scene of a particularly fierce fighting of the allied German and Austro-Hungarian army against the Russians. Only in November 1914, around 70,000 German and Austrian soldiers were killed. The dead were buried in special military cemeteries, one of which we can see in Włodowice near Zawiercie.