The church of Saint Joseph in Raków, a district of
Częstochowa, was built in the years 1926-1928. It was
designed by Stefan Szyller and Wiesław Stefan
Kononowicz. In 2002, the church was raised to the
dignity of the Shrine of St Joseph. Noteworthy is an
eclectic body of the church, referring mainly to the
Baroque. Inside we find the image of the seventeenthcentury St Joseph, and in the side altar the baroque
painting of St. Barbara.
In the town of Raków, in the district of Częstochowa,
there is an archaeological reserve of the lusatian culture,
which is a branch of the Museum of Częstochowa. Visitors
can see a graveyard of the lusatian culture displayed in
the modern exhibition hall. The people of this culture
lived in the surrounding areas in the first millennium
There are archaeological artifacts - such as pottery, tools
and ornaments of bronze and iron, etc in the display
The Museum of Coins and Medals Commemorating John
Paul II in Częstochowa was established at the initiative of
Krzysztof Witkowski, chairman of President Electronics
Poland. The museum is a kind of a votive offering for the
recovery after a stroke. It is also an homage paid to John
Paul II. There are 11 000 exhibits in the collections including 2 000 coins.
In Częstochowa, at Krakowska Street, there is an eclectic
small palace, built in 1909. It is the former palace of Jean
Motte, co-owner of a French textile factory. The usual
practice of nineteenth-century entrepreneurs
was to erect their residences near the company, which was
from their own, but more frequently from borrowed funds.
Before the First World War, the Polish Kingdom, including
Częstochowa, actively participated in the development of
the Russian economy. In Częstochowa, they assigned pieces
of land for the houses of the French residing in Częstochowa.
The Jewish cemetery in Częstochowa is located in Dąbie, a district in the vicinity of the Steel Mill "Częstochowa". The cemetery covers an area of about 8.5 ha. There are 5000 surviving tombstones dating back to 5000 in the graveyard, which is one of the largest in the Polish lands. The first burial in the cemetery took place in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The last official funeral was held in 1970. Among the typical graves there are, among others, conspicuous tombstones including that of Rabbi Nachum Asch or the ohel of Izaak Mayer Justman.