The brewery in Częstochowa is probably the oldest industrial facility in the city. Admittedly, beer has been brewed at Jasna Góra from the sixteenth century onwards, but the first industrial brewery was opened in 1840. This brewery boomed in the early decades of the last century, when it was owned by Karol Szwede. We can see historic buildings from that time, including an old malt house and a water tower at Ogrodowa Street, next to the Cathedral of Częstochowa.
The first Gothic church of Saint Sigismund in Częstochowa
was built as a parish church, probably in the first half of the
fifteenth century. It served as a parish church only until the
end of the nineteenth century. Its today's look is the result of
an eighteenth-century reconstruction. At that time, it was
rebuilt in the Baroque style. It is a three-nave church with
two towers at the front. In the adjacent seventeenthcentury monastery building, there is now a parsonage.
The Archcathedral Basilica of the Holy Family - from 1992
on, the seat of the archbishop of Częstochowa - is one of
the churches in Poland, which were built for the longest
time. The first earthwork started in 1901 and the towers
were consecrated in 1997. The size of the neo-Gothic
church is impressive. The towers rise to more than 80
meters! Inside, among others, there are a beautiful altar,
stained glass windows and a nice sounding organ.
The Avenue of the Blessed Virgin Mary, also known
simply as "Aleje" – the Avenues, is the main and
elegant street of Częstochowa. Traditionally the entire
artery is divided into the First, Second and Third
Avenues. Between the two-lane roadways, there is a
promenade, along which numerous pilgrimages head
for the Jasna Góra monastery. Along the avenue we
will see a number of old houses built predominately in
the Classicist style.