The church of Saints Barbara and Andrew the Apostle is
located in the vicinity of the monastery of Jasna Góra,
with which its history is closely associated. According to
tradition, in the fifteenth century, the picture of the
Black Madonna was stolen, and the damaged picture
was abandoned south of the walls of the monastery. It
was at this site that a small church was erected in the
seventeenth century. Its distinguishing feature is the
cylindrical tower. The church is also known as the
Sanctuary of the Hurt Icon of the Lady of Częstochowa.
The Museum of the Archdiocese of Częstochowa is the
youngest of its kind in Poland. It collects a number of
monuments of religious art, which come from different
ages, including around 100 paintings and 120 sculptures
and vessels and vestments. Many of the objects
exhibited here belong to the collection of monuments,
which was started by Teodor Kubina, the first bishop of
the Częstochowa diocese in 1925. Therefore, the
museum now bears his name.
One of the Częstochowa sanctuaries is the church of the
Divine Mercy, also known as the Valley of the Divine
Mercy. It is located at the western foot of Jasna Góra. It is
one of the younger centers of worship. It was built in the
first years after World War II, when the Pallottines built a
monastic house and a church on the site of an old
brickyard. In the following years, a painting of the Merciful
Christ, painted according to the vision of Saint Sister
Faustina, was placed in the church.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Jasna Góra is the most popular Polish Marian shrine and one of the most important in the world. In the monastery complex of the Pauline Fathers monastery, people venerate a Byzantine icon with the miraculous image of the Virgin and Child, which was brought to Częstochowa in the fifteenth century. The present buildings of the monastery are mainly from the seventeenth century and represent the Baroque style.
The Museum of the 600th Anniversary of Jasna Góra is one
of the several exhibitions at the monastery of
Częstochowa. The museum, located near the chapel of
the Miraculous Image, in the premises of the former
printing office, which operated here from the seventeenth
century to the time of its closure by the Russian
occupants in 1864. The exhibition, consisting of various
departments, was opened in 1982. The idea of creating
the museum was associated with the jubilee celebration
of the foundation of the monastery.